Franklin Vets Blog
Important COVID-19 Lockdown Update from Franklin Vets
As veterinarians, we are classified as essential services. However, there are some changes to what we are able to do at both Level 3 & 4 alert levels.
What does this look like?
Essential services are those that if left until the end of the Alert Level 3 & 4 restrictions will negatively impact your pet’s welfare. Therefore, we will be able to:
- Treat sick or injured animals
- Prescribe & dispense veterinary medicines including flea and worm treatment
- Vaccinate puppies and kittens
- Perform surgery if the case is going to deteriorate and have a worse outcome by delaying the surgery until the end of the lockdown period.
- Supply pet essentials such as food.
Non-essential services are those that won’t impact negatively on your pet’s welfare if left until after lockdown restrictions. These include:
- Annual health checks
- Routine vaccinations in adult animals
- Routine surgery such as desexing and dental work.
What happens if you need to visit us?
Whether you have a pet that needs to be seen by a vet, or need to pick up supplies from the clinic, PLEASE phone ahead with your requests so our team can decide whether a visit is required.
Our team will ask:
- Have you been in close contact with a person who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
- Have you, or have you been in contact with a person who has travelled overseas in the past 14 days?
- Have you been in contact with anyone displaying symptoms of a cold, the flu or COVID-19 in the last 14 day?
- Are you experiencing any symptoms such as sore throats, runny nose, fever, coughing, breathlessness, headaches, body aches, sneezing or fatigue?
If the answer to any of these is YES we need to avoid person-to-person contact with you. You will need to arrange for someone else to bring the animal to the clinic and strict hygiene will be used on their arrival.
What happens when you get to the clinic?
You will see a tape barrier 2 metres from the front door which we ask you to wait behind.
Depending on what you have come for, our team will give you instructions re how the consult or supply pick up is going to happen. Not every consult will take place inside the clinic. Please bring your mobile phone when you come to the clinic for an appointment because that might be how we communicate with you. Please do not be offended at these changes to normal practice.
We will be maintaining physical distancing protocols for all interactions with you and strict hygiene measures within the clinic.
For the safety of our team, we will only be able to make house calls depending on risk assessment. If you cannot come out, call the clinic and we will arrange for a remote consultation.
Note – some of our clinics have changed their hours. Check our website for these.
We also hope to have online sales through our vet portal very soon and will keep you updated on this.
We look forward to continuing to care for your pets throughout this difficult time and thank you for your patience and understanding.
Stay safe and take care of yourselves.
The team at Franklin Vets.