Franklin Vets offers a de-sexing procedure, performed in our modern theatres using the latest technologies. All our surgical patients receive opiate (morphine based) pain control while at the clinic, and four days of painkillers to take home.
Neutering a dog is a simple, low risk procedure for the purposes of canine population control, medical health benefits, genetic-disease control and behavioral modification.
Benefits of castrating a dog
- Decreased aggression towards other male dogs
- Increased attention-they will not be distracted by the pheromonal stimuli
- No testicular tumors and some forms of anal cancers are prevented by neutering
- Decreased roaming
- Fewer hernias and difficulty defecating and urinating
Neutering involves a day in the clinic then 4-5 days of rest from work.
Spaying a bitch is more involved surgery but has many benefits. Spaying before their first heat offers the best protection. Spaying involves one day in the clinic then 2 weeks rest from work. We cannot spay dogs in heat and must wait until 3 weeks after the heat is finished. Prevent weight gain after spaying by feeding a proper diet.
Benefits of spaying a bitch
- Prevention of uterine infections and breast tumors
- Prevent heat periods and the mounting of inanimate objects
- Will not encourage unneutered male dogs with her pheromones
We provide follow up care and check wounds around 5 days after surgery.